Get a FREE copy of VOM’s Global Prayer Guide with any giftGive Now
The Islamic Revolution of 1979, led by Ayatollah Khomeini, created the world’s only Shiite Islamic theocracy and profoundly changed every aspect of life in Iran. Today, many of those who committed their lives to Islam and Islamic rule are filled with despair. This disillusionment has opened new doors for the gospel, which is sweeping across the nation via Christian media and bold evangelists in Iran’s growing house church movements. However, the government continues its attempts to thwart this move of God. Christian leaders and pastors are often arrested, tortured and imprisoned, and their families are harassed. Some, left with no other options, choose to flee the country.
More than 97 percent of Iranians are identified by the government as Muslims, but a significant segment of the population has abandoned Islam, and many have come to faith in Christ.
Christians are persecuted by government authorities, who have networks of informants in each city. Family, friends and community members also persecute Christians, especially when news of a conversion becomes public.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Iran:
The Iranian government is among the most oppressive regimes in the world. It is illegal to leave Islam, and Christians face the constant threat of imprisonment and being falsely charged with “acting against national security” for owning Bibles or even talking about Christ. Christians are routinely fired from their jobs, and it is difficult for a known believer to find a job or rent a home. Many Christians gather in covert fellowships and receive teaching through Christian media smuggled into the country and through broadcast media. Several Christians are currently imprisoned, and many others are under house arrest awaiting sentencing.
Access To Bibles:
It is illegal to own, print, import or distribute Bibles. Since they are so difficult to obtain, Bibles are treasured by Iranian believers. Few have their own copy of God’s Word. Give Bibles
VOM provides encouragement, support and training for former prisoners as they rebuild their lives. We also provide discipleship and leadership training for current and future Christian leaders. VOM is actively involved in smuggling God’s Word to believers inside Iran. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that Supreme Leader Ali Hoseini-Khamenei will come to know Christ.
- Pray that new Farsi resources will reach children.
- Pray for the safety of underground printers involved in the production of Farsi Bibles.
- Pray that house church leaders in Iran will reach the country's youth who have lived their entire lives under Islamist oppression.
- Pray that Christians imprisoned for their faith will be witnesses in prison.
- Pray that Iranians who have dreams and visions will come to faith in Jesus Christ.
- Pray for protection for the people smuggling printed and digital Bibles to believers.
- Pray for Christian prisoners who feel discouraged and need emotional support.
- Pray for creative new strategies to reach more than 60 unreached people groups.